Friday, August 22, 2008

“Jaylen’s Believe It or Not”

Robert Ripley's life was an unbelievable adventure. For thirty-five years he explored the uncanny and witnessed the amazing. He was a world traveler who visited over 200 countries, seeing places few people had even heard of. Like Ripley, Jaylen is on an unbelievable adventure in New York City! Although hesitant in moving to NYC, Jaylen has found this strange land has exceeded his expectations. In his own words – Welcome to “Jaylen’s Believe It or Not”

"I didn’t want to move to NYC when my parents first told me we were moving. Mainly due to the things that I had to give up that I really liked. But they really do have some things I like in NYC - and here they are:


  • It has the most beautiful park 2 blocks away from me (Central Park).

  • It has a turtle pound were you can catch turtles of all kinds.

  • It has my favorite baseball team - the New York Yankees.

  • My 2nd favorite quarter back Brett Farve who plays for the New York Jets is also here.

  • It also has one of my favorite major league soccer teams - NYC Red Bulls - in which I have gone to a game with my Dad. I advise you to go to one too.

  • NYC has the most wonderful shopping area (Times Square). I’ve already bought (we’ll my Dad has) many things there."


Please pray:
  1. I will make more friends at school;

  2. I will join a sports team; and

  3. Pray for my parents to allow me to get a pet!
_______________________________
Wow! What a powerful life lesson. Like Jaylen, God has to ask every believer at times, “Will you believe me or not?” Many times we get so comfortable with the status quo and the familiar places in our lives (physically, mentally, spiritually, etc.) that we are afraid to believe God when he speaks.

In many respects we are like the Israelites when God spoke of his mighty deliverance from Egypt to the promise land. At times the Israelites complained of leaving the land they were comfortable with in order to walk through the wilderness to get to the land of promise. Yet for every complaint and objection, God showed the Israelites his faithfulness in leading them to a new land. It’s up to us to “believe God or not”. For Jaylen, he found out that God’s word is true – “God is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope.” (Eph 3:20)

Are you believing God or not?

2 comments:

Chris said...

Great to hear from your son. It sounds as though "adjustment" is well under way and I am encouraged by the inevitable transformation that will come happen in Big Js life. Tell him "I believe it." Blessings to all!

Chris said...

Oops! What a painful sentence there..."come happen..." Let's just make that a "happen" and leave out the come. HA! Praying.